The United States has canceled the planned deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland as part of a broader restructuring of American forces in Europe following Washington’s decision to reduce its military presence in Germany, US officials confirmed Friday.
During a congressional hearing, General Christopher LaNeve, acting chief of staff of the US Army, stated that the head of US European Command had received instructions regarding the force reduction. According to LaNeve, some personnel had already deployed overseas and military equipment was en route before the cancellation order was issued by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s office.
Secretary of the Army Dan Driscoll said the decision to halt the deployment was made only “a couple days ago.” Republican Congressman Don Bacon criticized the move, revealing that Polish officials had not been informed in advance. He described the sudden reversal as “reprehensible” and “an embarrassment to our country.”
Democratic Representative Marilyn Strickland also condemned the decision, warning that withdrawing such a large troop presence could damage perceptions of US reliability among allies.
Earlier this month, the Pentagon announced plans to withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany over the next six to twelve months. The decision came amid tensions between President Donald Trump and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz regarding the US-Israeli conflict involving Iran. Trump later hinted the troop reduction could extend well beyond 5,000 personnel.
Polish Defense Minister Wladyslaw Kosiniak-Kamysz suggested the canceled deployment may be tied to the troop withdrawals from Germany, adding that Warsaw’s security guarantees would remain intact if another brigade were reassigned to Poland instead.
Trump has repeatedly urged European allies to assume greater responsibility for their own defense spending and military commitments. Observers believe the latest troop adjustments may also reflect frustration with allies reluctant to support operations linked to the Middle East conflict or maritime security efforts in the Strait of Hormuz.
A North Atlantic Treaty Organization official told AFP that the US is continuing to adjust its European military posture, while emphasizing that NATO’s deterrence strategy would remain unaffected due to increased allied deployments along the alliance’s eastern flank.












































